Friday, April 1, 2011

Vegan Cheddar Spread

I have been craving a good cheese lately so I decided to put my fate into my own hands and make some.  It does have a reminiscent cheddar quality but the texture is that of a spread.  It also tastes a tad like mustard due to the turmeric addition but replacing or removing it next time should eliminate that.  I was inspired by a vegan blogger who mentioned she did not remember cheese as garlic-y or onion-y and yet all the recipes call for it.  I have so far used this sauce to make quesadillas, grilled cheese, and topped my soup with it.  So here goes.

Vegan Cheddar Spread:
6 tbsp Okara
1 Whole Carrot, grilled
6 rounded tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
1 tsp Turmeric
1/4 tsp White Pepper
1/4 tsp Paprika
1/8 tsp Salt Substitute
1 tbsp Lemon Juice
1 tbsp Tahini
1 tbsp Kuzu Root Starch
1 tbsp Earth Balance made with olive oil

Toss it all into a blender and process until smooth.  Pour into a small saucepan and heat to boil, then turn down to med-low heat and cook until sauce thickens.  Pour into tupperware and let cool in refrigerator.

Grilled cheese with spinach, tomato and mole seitan

No comments:

Post a Comment