Friday, December 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Soy and Seitan Roast

I scoured the internet for the perfect roast on Thanksgiving and ended up making 2 roasts.  Both are hybrids of Brianna's soy and seitan roast, one from Mac & Cheese and one from Felicity.  Both were amazing in their own ways.  I followed each recipe pretty closely so that I would easily be able to re-create them, here is what I changed.
Anywhere broth is used I made one from Better Than Bouillon - Vegetable Base, although only because they were sold out of the No-Chicken Base which is much more amazing.
For fresh herbs I used a prepackaged version called "holiday spices", although I did also use the bay leaf.
Anytime salt is added, I do not add it.
I use garlic flakes rather than granules and I did not use any fresh garlic, due to availability.
Instead of Soy sauce I used Liquid Aminos.
I used ground cashews.
Rather than arrowroot or cornflour, I used kuzu root.
I made my own yuba from store bought soymilk which tasted sweet and was pretty difficult to handle.
I used a lentil pilaf blend rather than wild rice.
I put wheat sourdough in the food processor to make bread crumbs.
I wrapped my roast in a sturdy, natural, cheesecloth.
I used unsweetened soymilk instead of soy creamer.
I kept the measurements the same for any changes.
The Mac & Cheese soy and seitan roast came out the best, it was AMAZING.  It was very moist and had the perfect texture.  The other roast was pretty good although it just couldn't compare to the other roast because it was not as moist, the stuffing in the center seemed to take away from it, and the yuba was sweet.  The stuffing itself was really good and the gravy was amazing, better than the meat eaters at our table that was for sure.
All the ingredients
I started with the stuffing for felicity's roast




Processing the tofu mixture


The loaf rolled out


Finished roulade

I did not have the proper equipment for steaming so I flipped a vegetable steamer upside down
Here is the start of the Mac & Cheese loaf


The dough has to rest a while



I made yuba while waiting on the dough, here you can see the film forming
Here is the yuba product
Before going into the oven
The delicious gravy




Thanksgiving dinner



The Mac & Cheese loaf is on the left, the roulade is on the right.. looks like hamburger.  We called them white and dark "meat".

No comments:

Post a Comment