Saturday, July 2, 2011

Spaghetti Squash with Tahini Sauce

In my much poorer days, my favorite meal was pasta with garlic and onions fried in the oil at the top of the tahini, lemon juice and tahini, toppde with Parmesan.  I loved the grainy, creamy but dry texture and it was so filling and delicious.  Of course this was when I was wondering why I am a vegetarian gaining weight.  So now my much healthier version is made with spaghetti squash and I added some more veggies in, now that I can afford them.  I love spaghetti squash because it satisfies your pasta cravings with a vegetable calorie count so I can eat as much as I want, rather than just 2 oz.

Spaghetti squash with Tahini Sauce

1 spaghetti squash
1/4 cup tahini
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 cloves fresh garlic, chopped or sliced
1/2 a white onion, chopped 
1 tbsp veggie Parmesan
2 cups mixed veggies
1/4 cup sprouts

Cut the squash in half and bake on 350 for about an hour, or until the top lightly browns and the inside is easy to core.  Take out the seeds and set aside.  In a large bowl add the tahini, lemon juice, onion and garlic then stir.  Pour the hot spaghetti squash on top and let sit so that the onions and garlic are cooked with the heat of the squash.  Steam the vegetables while that sits then combine and add Parmesan.  Top with sprouts and serve.  If you feel this is too much tahini, add more squash, otherwise save the other half for another night.  It is also very good cold.  The picture below was the other half of my spaghetti squash which I scooped out cold and added the tahini, spinach, tomatoes and sprouts for more raw items and an even crunchier texture.

Cold spaghetti squash with raw spinach and tomato.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment