Saturday, July 2, 2011

Vegan Pesto Pasta

The farmers market created a them, but with such diversity, who's complaining?  I have a lot of nuts I am supposed to someday get around to feeling like making nut milk, but in the mean time they are pine nut replacers.  Tonights replacer, almonds.  The idea came from Tofu 666's twitter and blog.  Although the recipe wasn't included so it was kind of a guess/adapted from Fun and Food Blog.  With a hankering for pasta it was perfect and delicious.

Vegan Pesto Pasta
1/4 cup of blanched almonds (I forgot to blanch, it turned out fine)
1.5 cup fresh basil
1 cup fresh parsley
4 tbsp lemon juice
3 large garlic cloves
5 tbsp olive oil

2 tbsp vegan Parmesan
2 cups pasta
1 cup mixed veggies

I just boiled the almonds for a few minutes and threw them in, my husband was reading the recipe out loud and got things mixed up and left things out, oh well.  I used a blender but a food processor may work better.  Throw all ingredients in the blender except 2 of the 5 tbsp of oil.  Blend until it reaches the consistency of pesto you like, you will likely need to use one of those blender tools that helps push the food down so that it is all processed.  Cook the pasta for 8 minutes and drain.  While pasta is in colander, pour remaining oil and a touch of salt or nusalt in and toss with your fingers.  Add pasta to a large bowl with veggies and pour pesto on top.  Personally this was a lot of pesto for me so I saved some for sandwiches later.

Pesto pasta topped with veggie parmesan

No comments:

Post a Comment