Monday, August 1, 2011

Butternut Squash Soup

Back in Austin and so happy the farmer's market has butternut squash again.  I am about to move to California and miss out on all the Austin fall events :(  While I love California I really loved all the seasonal food available around Austin.  Oh well.  If you're in love with butternut squash like I am this is the bomb diggity, plus is vitamin packed.

Butternut Squash Soup:
1 butternut squash
1 pattypan squash
1 small yellow squash
1 tomato
1/4 white onion
1 tsp garlic
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chile powder
1 tsp chile flakes, optional if like spicy
1 cup soy milk

Cut the butternut squash in half and bake until soft.  Scoop the contents out into a blender.  Remove the skin from the other squashes and toss them in the blender.  Quarter the onion quarter and the tomato and add to the mix.  Pour in all the spices.  Top with soymilk.  Blend until smooth.  Enjoy the intensely delightful flavors of fall, with a touch of summer.  This is a more raw version but I like to heat it before I eat it.

I don't like soupy soup, add more soymilk if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment