Monday, August 1, 2011

Migas from Heaven

I accidentally created a miga masterpiece while in California.  They do not really have migas where I was at, nor do they have much vegan knowledge but with my Austin brain and California surroundings I made magic.  As a side note, I did not realize how vegan unfriendly Trader Joe's could be.. I was a vegetarian when I had shopped there before but now I realize they don't have vegan cheese, vegan brats, and most of their trader joe brand items have eggs in them :P  It took a real scavenger hunt to find the Daiya for these migas.

Vegan Migas of Yum:
Trader Joe's Cajun Black Beans
1/4 block firm tofu
2 tbsp salsa
4 cloves of garlic, diced
2 green onion stalks
Tortilla chips, preferably leftover from a real Mexican restaurant
1 tbsp taco sauce or taco seasoning mixed with water to make 1 tbsp
1/8 cup Daiya, cheddar

First dice the garlic and layer the bottom of the pan, cook for about a minute on medium before smashing the tofu and placing on top of the garlic, do not stir.  Let these two ingredients cook while you chop the onions and prepare the rest of the ingredients.  Once you can smell the garlic cooking, top with the onions and stir, cook for about another 5 minutes.  Turn the heat up to med-high and add the other ingredients, except the daiya.  Cook for another 5 minutes, then add Daiya, lightly stir until thoroughly melted, then serve.  Eat with tortillas or for some reason pretzel bread with vegan cream cheese and tomato on top pairs well also.

No comments:

Post a Comment